Assessment for learning is at the heart of effective teaching and learning. At Balmoral we use assessment to:
- Provide the most appropriate learning opportunities for students.
- Provide feedback to students and identify their next learning steps.
- Develop partnerships with parents.
- Modify teaching programmes.
- Ensure continuity of education for individual students.
Formal 15 minute interviews between children, their parents and their child’s teacher are arranged in March and July each year.
In March parents and students will meet with the teacher to discuss their goals for the year.
In July parents and students will meet with the teacher to discuss the mid year written report. The student’s goals will also be discussed.
In July and December your child will bring home a written report.
Classroom Learning Journals
Documentation is a powerful tool for observing and interpreting teaching and learning in the classroom and reflecting on our practice. It is an Assessment for Learning tool.
- make thinking and learning visible- for children, school, whānau
- deepen and extend learning
- form a reflective process for both children and teachers – teachers think about why they have made a teaching decision and what is the next part of the learning.
If at any time you have any queries or concerns about your child’s progress at school, it is important that you contact us. Please make an appointment with your child’s teacher, so they are available to talk through issues without any interruptions.